There are many ways to cook Brussels sprouts, but this Stovetop Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard Recipe is my personal favorite! With simple ingredients like brown sugar and mustard, you will have a flavorful side dish in no time!
I’ve mentioned before that I am lacking in the side dish department. I get so preoccupied with the main dish that sides kind of become an afterthought. And because they are generally pretty easy, I never think to write down the recipes.
Until now, that is! Once I made these Stovetop Brussels Sprouts with Bacon (yes, I said bacon!) I knew I had to not only write the recipe down, but share it with all of you!
In my opinion, Brussels sprouts get a bad rap. I think it’s because of their strong flavor and smell. But trust me, there are plenty of ways to make Brussels sprouts a vegetable that your whole family will love.
Starting with this easy Stovetop Brussels Sprouts recipe. I kind of adapted it from my Grilled Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard Vinaigrette. It has the same flavor profile (which everyone loves!) it’s just prepared on the stove rather than the grill.
I kind of had a theory about these Brussels sprouts. I haven’t met a soul that doesn’t like bacon; so if you combine one of the most loved foods with one that might be a little scary or new, you’re bound to be more apt to try it. Right?
Well my theory hasn’t been proven wrong yet! Everyone that has tried these Stovetop Brussels Sprouts has loved them! Even my boys love them, so I know they’re kid approved.
Now onto the recipe! Start by heating a large, wide skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is heated, add in the bacon, saute it and let the fat render down.
Once the bacon has become a “chewy-crispy” consistency, remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon (to let the fat drip off) and set it aside.
Next add the brussels sprouts to the pan and give them a quick stir to coat with the bacon fat. Season them with salt and pepper and saute until the brussels sprouts begin to turn a golden brown color, then cover for 5 minutes.
When the 5 minutes are up, remove lid. Sprinkle brown sugar over the entire pan and add in the mustard. Reduce the heat to low, then gently stir to combine everything and coat the brussels until the brown sugar has melted. Then simply return the bacon to pan, and toss to combine!
If you liked this easy Stovetop Brussels Sprouts recipe, check out these other easy side dishes:
- Creamed Spinach
- Seasoned Oven Baked Potato Wedges
- Baked Crunchy Avocado Fries
- Garlic Herb Sauteed Mushrooms
These are my favorite main dishes to serve this recipe with:
- Instant Pot Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy
- Easy Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Cream of Mushroom Chicken
Stove Top Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard
- 1/2 lb bacon chopped
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- Heat a large, wide skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Saute and let the fat render down. When bacon has become "chewy-crispy," remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the brussels sprouts to the pan, and give a quick stir to coat with the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the brussels begin to turn golden brown. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid. Sprinkle brown sugar over pan and add mustard. Reduce heat to low, then gently stir to combine and coat the brussels until the brown sugar has melted.
- Return bacon to pan, and toss to combine. Serve hot.