This easy Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore recipe is an authentic Italian comfort food. Thanks to the pressure cooker, dinner can be ready in under 1 hour!
Easy weeknight meals don’t get much better than this easy Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore! With onions, tomatoes, white wine and Italian seasoning, it has tons of fresh flavor.
Another day, another Instant Pot recipe! I think it’s safe to say the Instant Pot is my favorite kitchen appliance. And I also think it’s safe to say that I have a pretty well rounded arsenal of recipes made in it.
I have chicken, pork and beef recipes, recipes for pastas and recipes for soup. I think the only thing I’m missing is an Instant Pot dessert. Maybe that will be my next venture!
I made this Chicken Cacciatore Instant Pot recipe for dinner one day last week. I had a whole chicken in the refrigerator that needed to be used up, and an onion that
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Start by turning your Instant Pot to SAUTE- High. Once the display reads HOT, add the olive oil to the inner pot, along with the onions. Sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent, then add in the garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, then remove from pot and set aside.
Now onto the chicken. Some people might prefer an Instant Pot chicken breast cacciatore or prefer to just use chicken thighs, but I chose to use a whole chicken. I like the flavor that all of the chicken pieces add to the dish.
Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, then add half the chicken pieces to the pot to sear. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, then remove from the pot and repeat with the remaining chicken.
Next you need to deglaze the inner pot with the win. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken back into the pot, top with sautéed onions and garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices.
Now let the Instant Pot do the rest of the work! Lock the lid into place and ensure the release valve is set to SEAL. Hit CANCEL, then MANUAL. Set the timer for 25 minutes.
When the timer has finished, allow it to naturally release for at least 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Before serving, you can add extra flavor to this Italian dish. Simply season with salt and pepper or even red pepper flakes for a slight kick.
What to serve with Chicken Cacciatore in Instant Pot:
I like to serve mine over a starch like rice or noodles, and finish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley. But these sides would also go really well with it too:
- Creamy Whipped Potatoes
- Creamed Spinach
- Sauteed Mushrooms with Oregano and Balsamic
- Parmesan Pull-Apart Rolls
- Green beans
Check out these other delicious Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Mac
- Instant Pot Tender Brisket and Gravy
- Creamy Instant Pot Pasta with Chicken and Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
Tired of boring chicken dinners? These easy chicken recipes are anything but boring:
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Chicken and Spinach Manicotti
- Crispy Chicken and Waffles with Sriracha Honey
- Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
- Easy Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken
- Easy Dinner Ideas
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken cut up into pieces
- 2 medium onions cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE- High. When display reads HOT, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to inner pot, along with sliced onions. Sauté onions until soft and translucent, then add garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, then remove from pot and set aside.
- Season chicken with kosher salt and pepper, then add half the chicken to the pot to sear. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, then remove from pot and repeat with remaining chicken. Set aside.
- Deglaze the inner pot with the wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Place chicken back in pot; top with sautéed onions and garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices.
- Lock lid into place and ensure release valve is set to SEAL. Hit CANCEL, then MANUAL. Set timer for 25 minutes.
- When timer has finished, allow to naturally release for at least 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Serve over buttered rice or noodles.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
This chicken cacciatore was delicious! Love finding new recipes for my instant pot!
This was a huge hit with my whole crew! I love how my instant pot lets me make such wonderful and varied meals, even on the busiest of days!