This Homemade Cornbread recipe is incredibly easy and moist. Baked in either a cast iron skillet or a baking dish, it’s a slightly sweet cornbread with crispy sides. Paired with a delicious 3 ingredient honey butter, its the best cornbread recipe!
File this homemade cornbread recipe under “Things I Was Crazy Not To Like As A Kid.” This cornbread is fabulous- moist and crumby, with just a touch of sweetness from the honey. Pairing it with a honey-poppyseed butter takes it to a whole other level- and it is a PERFECT accompaniment to cold-weather comfort foods. Think chilis, soups, stews and roasts! While I used to make cornbread in a regular baking dish (and still do from time to time), but my favorite way to make cornbread is in a cast iron skillet. The sides get incredibly crispy, while keeping the insides moist and almost even fluffy. You could also easily adapt this recipe to make corn muffins- I would recommend using a cooking spray or light coating of vegetable oil. I would start baking for 25 minutes, checking at that point with toothpicks to see if they are done. I love to accompany this with a delicious honey butter- just honey, butter, and poppyseeds mixed together until smooth.
Wondering how to make homemade cornbread? Here’s what you need:
- Mixing Bowls
- Cast Iron Skillet. or Baking Dish. As I said, I personally prefer using my cast iron skillet now, but a good ceramic baking dish works just as well.
Posts Related to this Easy Homemade Honey Cornbread Recipe:
Honey Cornbread with Honey-Poppyseed Butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- Honey Butter:
- 1 T honey
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 tsp poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the half-and-half, cream, oil, honey and eggs; stir to combine. Pour batter into a pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
- For the butter, stir together honey, butter, and poppy seeds until thoroughly combined.
- Serve cornbread warm alongside honey butter.