This Homemade Cornbread recipe is incredibly easy and moist. Baked in either a cast iron skillet or a baking dish, it’s a slightly sweet cornbread with crispy sides. Paired with a delicious 3 ingredient honey butter, its the best cornbread recipe!
File this homemade cornbread recipe under “Things I Was Crazy Not To Like As A Kid.” This cornbread is fabulous- moist and crumby, with just a touch of sweetness from the honey.
Pairing it with a honey-poppyseed butter takes it to a whole other level- and it is a PERFECT accompaniment to cold-weather comfort foods. Think chilis, soups, stews and roasts!
While I used to make cornbread in a regular baking dish (and still do from time to time), but my favorite way to make cornbread is in a cast iron skillet. The sides get incredibly crispy, while keeping the insides moist and almost even fluffy.
You could also easily adapt this recipe to make corn muffins- I would recommend using a cooking spray or light coating of vegetable oil. I would start baking for 25 minutes, checking at that point with toothpicks to see if they are done. I love to accompany this with a delicious honey butter- just honey, butter, and poppyseeds mixed together until smooth.
Wondering how to make homemade cornbread? Here’s what you need:
- Mixing Bowls
- Cast Iron Skillet. or Baking Dish. As I said, I personally prefer using my cast iron skillet now, but a good ceramic baking dish works just as well.
Of course this cornbread pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili, so I’m going to share some of my favorite chili recipes with you for inspiration:
- Buffalo Chicken Chili (plus Crockpot and Instant Pot)
- Hearty Bean and Beef Chili
- Instant Pot Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Posts Related to this Easy Homemade Honey Cornbread Recipe:
Honey Cornbread with Honey-Poppyseed Butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- Honey Butter:
- 1 T honey
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 tsp poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the half-and-half, cream, oil, honey and eggs; stir to combine. Pour batter into a pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
- For the butter, stir together honey, butter, and poppy seeds until thoroughly combined.
- Serve cornbread warm alongside honey butter.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
Cornbread does NOT go with coffee. Only with milk and only with Ham and Beans.