These Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Taco Cups are a perfect appetizer or party food, but use the easy salsa chicken filling to make regular chicken tacos, burritos, quesadillas any night of the week!
I love these little slow cooker chicken taco cups- they are absolutely adorable, packed with flavor, and easy to make- meaning that they are perfect for just about any kind of parties.
The crockpot chicken filling is so simple to make, and has its roots based on a strange, but notoriously delicious, combination back in my hometown. If you’ve been a longtime follower of this blog, you’ve heard me make mention of a local chain restaurant called Hacienda in my Smothered Wet Burrito recipe.
Well the wet burritos and skillet cookies aren’t the only things that they’re known for.
I don’t know how, or why, or who first decided to start mixing together their smooth, restuarant-style salsa with a side of ranch dressing (why does a Mexican restaurant even have ranch dressing in the kitchen?), but it caught on like wildfire. Nowadays, you’d be hard pressed to go into that place and not see a bowl of creamy, pinkish salsa on the table.
I’ve been thinking about translating that recipe into something on the blog for a long time, but mixing together salsa and ranch hardly seems like 1. something that people are looking for and 2. that people would want to try and 3. it hardly qualifies as a recipe.
So I decided to take that food memory and turn it into a crockpot chicken recipe, ending up with an amazing shredded chicken recipe that is perfect for tacos, burritos, quesadillas or nachos- but it really shines in these chicken taco cups.
The filling itself is a little bit spicy (and you can easily adjust the heat to your desired levels based on what salsa you use), with a creaminess from ranch dressing, and a crunch from fresh green onion. The filling takes about 5 minuets of actual prep and work, making it perfect to throw together and leave it be while you do more important things.
Dress it up with whatever you want- I did these with a dollop of sour cream, green onions, sliced jalepenos for heat, avocado and fresh tomato, but the sky’s the limit? Salsa, pico de Gallo, more cheese, guacamole- the world is your oyster.
What you need for these Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos:
A Slow Cooker. I love my multi cooker, but any will do.
Muffin Tins– you’ll need 2 24-well muffin tins
A hand mixer– my secret hack for shredding chick
Other easy appetizer recipes like these Shredded Chicken Tacos:
- Crockpot Spicy BBQ Cocktail Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Puff Pastry Pockets
- Buffalo Chicken Party Sandwiches
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip Appetizer Phyllo Cups
- Spicy Jalepeño Spinach Cheese Dip
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Taco Cups
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 15 oz jars salsa
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- 5-6 green onion green parts sliced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 jalapeños sliced into 24 rounds
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 24 fajita size tortillas
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in crockpot. Pour salsa over top of chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Use a hand mixter to finely shred chicken. Stir in half the green onions, the second jar of salsa (I used a corn and black bean salsa for the 2nd jar), and the ranch dressing.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fit a tortilla into the well of a standard sized muffin pan. Spoon 2/3 full with chicken , top with approximately 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with sour cream, jalapeño slice, green onion, and chopped tomato. Serve immediately.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
Leave a Reply