Fact: I have never had enchiladas before.
When we go for Mexican food, I tend to stick to things I know- crunchy tacos and fajitas, specifically. But I ended up with some mojo chicken that I made in the crockpot and didn’t want to eat plain chicken on the bone again, so I figured it was as good a time as any to expand my horizons.
Dave came home and was excited to hear that we were having enchiladas for dinner, but balked when he saw the green enchilada sauce. “What is that?” He asked. He had never heard of green enchilada sauce before. I told him that it was green chili enchilada sauce, therefore I figured it would be spicier and more likely to play into the old wives tales of spicy food to induce labor.
Induce me it did not, but they were very good. In fact, Dave took them as leftovers to work the next day and a passerby in the hall made a point to stop him and tell him how good they smelled.
I guess I count that as a win.
Roasted Poblano Chicken Enchiladas
Author: Go Go Go Gourmet
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2-14 oz cans green enchilada sauce
- 10 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 4 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese (2 cups)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- For serving- sour cream, tomatoes, jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a grill on high heat. Add the poblanos to the grill and roast until the skins blister and char, turning as needed. (You can also use the broiler on your oven). Remove from the grill, peel off the charred skin, remove ribs and seeds and roughly chop.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, chopped poblanos, and ⅓ of the cheese.
- Spread half of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Place approximately ¼-1/3 cup filling along the center of a tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas and top with the rest of the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and make for 10-15 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.