I am in love with the carnitas pork at Chipotle. This slow cooker version is even better because 1. Its cheaper, and 2., it uses the crockpot- so all you have to do is throw things in! Eight hours later, dinner is ready, PLUS you’re set for leftovers the whole week long. Carnitas is great in tacos, burritos, bowls, quesadillas- even on nachos!
And when you’re sick of eating it, throw barbecue sauce on it and make yourself a great pulled pork sandwich. Just saying.
Update 7/26/15: I have started to make about 6 pounds of this at a time. We eat dinner, and I leave enough in the fridge for one or two more dinners. Then I divide the remainder up into Ziploc bags and freeze them. That way, when I inevitably end up with no dinner plan one night, I have a backup already made in the freezer!
- 3 lb boneless butt pork roast
- 3 tablespoons
- oil canola, olive or vegetable
- 3-4 bay leaves
- Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons juniper berries
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Season pork well on all sides with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Sear pork on all sides. Place in a slow cooker; add bay leaves, thyme, chicken broth and juniper berries. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender and shreds easily, between 6-8 hours, depending on the weight of your roast.
- Black Beans- Drain and rinse 1 can black beans. Add 2 tsp oregano and 1 tsp cumin, mix to combine. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Corn Salsa- Grill 3 ears of corn; strip kernels from cob. Mix in 1/3 cup chopped red onion, 1/2 seeded and chopped jalepeno, 2 T chopped cilantro, juice from 1/2 a lime, salt & pepper.
- Cilantro-Lime Rice- Combine 2 cups cooked rice with 2 T cilantro, zest from 1 lime, and juice from half a lime. Salt to taste.
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped tomato
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded