I’m going to be honest with you all. I actually made this about a month ago. But then I got wrapped up in the dinner party series and the Thanksgiving dishes, so it never got its day in the sun. But now, temperatures have dipped to a balmy low 60 degrees here, and I’m almost in the mood to make it again. There’s just something about polenta and short ribs that is so warm and comforting.
This is absolutely another “set it and forget it” kind of recipe- perfect for this time of year. Think of all you can accomplish while this is just cooking away in the oven! So many cookies to mix! So much online shopping to complete! So many presents to wrap!
‘Tis the season for multitasking.
p.s. This could also easily be made in the slow cooker.
Braised Short Ribs
- 3 lbs short ribs
- 3 ribs celery cut into 1 1/2" lengths
- 3 carrots cut into 1 1/2" lengths
- 1/2 onion sliced into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 sprig each rosemary oregano and thyme
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large heavy lidded pot over medium high heat. Add 2 T olive oil to pan.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the short ribs on all sides. Set aside
- Add the celery, carrots and onion to the pot; sauté until vegetables are beginning to soften. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes longer. Melt butter to the pan, then stir flour in. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Move the short ribs back to the pan. Slowly pour in red wine and stock. Add in herbs, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2- 2 hours. Dish is done when meat shred easily with a fork. Skim some of the fat from the top ands serve over polenta.