If you’ve ever wondered how to grill salmon on a cedar plank, I’ve got the recipe for you! This Cedar Planked Grilled salmon is the ultimate summer dinner!
I am always up for trying new things. Shockingly, I have never tried grilling salmon, likely because I always have perfect results with my fail-safe oven method. I decided it was worth trying, because it was nice outside and I didn’t feel like doing ANY dishes whatsoever. First I heated my grill, seasoned my fish and oiled it generously. I sprayed my grill with cooking spray. Then added the fish and let it cook until the skin was crispy. I tried to use tongs to flip the fish. Nothing happened. The spatula didn’t yield much nicer results, but I did manage to flip the fish to cook the other side. Sort of. I also “sort of” got it off the grill.
I mean, it was totally delicious, but it looked like a hot mess.
The next day, I was back at the grocery store, as I seem to be multiple times a week now, and I caught sight of a display of cedar grilling boards next to the seafood counter.
Hmm. I have those at home, but I use them as photo props. Maybe I should try their intended purpose and do a cedar planked grilled salmon.
It. Was. Awesome.
The great thing was that the board added such a unique, smoky, grilled flavor to the fish, but all I had to do was throw the board in the trash for clean up. I didn’t have to oil the fish more than normal. I didn’t have to flip it. It was just a smokier version of what I already do in the oven- perfect for spring/summer/fall evenings where I don’t want to turn my oven on.
What I used for seasoning
I poured over a whole grain mustard sauce that added a little savory sweetness to the fish, as well as helped to keep the fish moist. You could really do whatever you wanted here, if you don’t apply some sort of a glaze or sauce and you go for a dry rub, just make sure to dot it with some butter and/or drizzle it lightly with olive oil.
The whole dish was just lovely, top to bottom.
Tools needed to make this Grilled Salmon Cedar Plank recipe:
- All you really need is your grill and some [easyazon_link identifier=”B009BFBNWO” locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]cedar planks[/easyazon_link]. You can buy them in packs of 12 which is awesome!
If you liked this grilled salmon recipe on cedar plank, check out these other awesome salmon recipes:
- Pan-Seared Salmon with Lemon White Wine Butter Sauce
- Baked Lemon Salmon Dijonnaise
- No-Fail Baked Salmon
- Brown Sugar Baked Salmon
Cedar Planked Grilled Salmon
- 1 piece salmon
- 1 cedar board
- Soak the cedar board in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill over high heat.
- Sprinkle a board with olive oil. Add the fish to the board and top with desired sauce or seasonings.
- Add the prepared board to the grill, then turn the temperature to low and shut the lid of the grill.
- Cook the fish until it is cooked through and flakes with a fork. 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.