Calling all chicken salad and avocado lovers! This healthy avocado chicken salad uses perfectly ripe avocados to create a creamy filling for the ultimate sandwich. Think guacamole meets a chicken sandwich!
I’ve always been a chicken salad sandwich fiend, and love finding new ways to mix it up.
Not too long ago, Dave and I both had a rare weekday day off, so we decided to have a relaxing lunch.
Good plan, terrible execution- because we decided to take the kids.
We did, however, try out a new spot for lunch that had wood fired pizzas, salads, sandwiches, etc. Not precisely what I was looking for but I rolled with it and got a pizza with arugula and prosciutto. David ordered a chicken and avocado sandwich, which I was envisioning as a grilled chicken breast with sliced avocados and a sauce.
That was not at all what arrived at the table. It was more of a chicken salad sandwich with an avocado base.
So when Dave, who is admittedly NOT a chicken salad fan, started raving about it, I knew I had to steal some of it.
And it WAS really good. And when I find something at a restaurant that I love, the next logical step was to replicate it at home so I can have it whenever the hell I want.
So on the rare occasion that I had some avocados on my counter that were neither hard as rocks nor inedible mush, I set out to make this sandwich based on one bite that I had three weeks ago.
While I can’t remember much about the sandwich, I know that I like the version that I came up with quite a bit. Its a little bit like guacamole meets chicken salad, which is just fine, a-OK with me. I topped it with some sliced tomatoes and on a slightly warmed croissant.
It was FABULOUS. Super creamy, but still light with a little crunch from the fresh onion and peppers. You HAVE to try this!
Recipe Equipment and Tips:
- You don’t need much for this recipe- just a knife and a mixing bowl.
- I used a hand mixer to shred the meat for this- my FAVORITE hack for shredding ever!
- I used shredded rotisserie chicken as my chicken base, but any cooked chicken will work.
- To improve your leftovers situation- pack it as tightly as possible into a Tupperware container, then press Saran Wrap against the surface before capping.
- Best eaten shortly after making.
Recipes like this Avocado Chicken Salad:
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 2 avocados pitted
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 small sweet peppers chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt or to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the avocado, lime, mayo, red onion, peppers, cayenne and garlic salt. Season to taste.
- Serve immediately.