Pasta with Sausage, Basil, and yes, Mustard.
Hear me out.
I know what you must be thinking.
“Mustard in pasta? She has to be kidding. Mustard is bright yellow and goes on hot dogs. Not on pasta. Ew. She has lost all credibility with me.”
Hang on, let’s not get all crazy. I swear, this is delicious. I had similar thoughts when I first tried out this recipe, especially since I don’t even care for mustard for the most part. I’m not even sure why I ever even bothered to try it, but everyone is happy that I did. Not only is it a staple recipe in our household now, but it has also infiltrated into my family members’ kitchens as a favorite.
The nice thing about this recipe is that usually all the ingredients (except possibly the fresh basil) are in-house. God knows that there’s always wine in the house. And pasta. And cream/half-and-half/fat-free-half-and-half. Also for some reason, four kinds of mustard. So this is a nice 10-15 minute “throw together” dinner, with about four dishes to wash at the end of dinner. Delish, fast, and minimal clean-up. Definitely worth a try.
Notes on the recipe:
- I have amended it slightly to suit my personal preference for a slightly “wetter” pasta and to be a little lighter on the fat content. The original recipe calls for 3/4 c cream and a full pound of pasta, as well as 3T of grainy mustard.
- This is the grainy mustard that I use, in case you are like me the first time I made this and had no idea what grainy mustard was:
If you liked this Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard, check out these other easy pasta recipes:
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- Baked Spaghetti with Pepperoni
- One Pot Pasta with Shrimp, Sausage and Vodka Sauce
- Creamy Sausage Alfredo Pasta
Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard
- 3/4 lb. penne or medium shells
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup fat free half and half can sub for all cream if desired
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, half and half, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.