With just a few ingredients and 10 minutes, you can have these Mushroom Balsamic Braised Short Ribs in the oven braising!
There have been several instances lately where I take something out of the freezer, thinking it sounded delicious, only to decide several days later that I’d rather die than eat what I originally planned. Such was the case with these short ribs. When the day came to make them, I no longer wanted to make my red-wine braised short ribs (although delicious), so I had to come up with an alternative plan.
Luckily, this is why I thoroughly believe in a well-stocked pantry. I was able to pull together these Mushroom Balsamic Braised Short Ribs in just a few minutes and let it do its thing in the oven while I went about my day. Served over polenta, it was absolutely delicious.
You could absolutely do the same thing in a slow cooker.
If you liked these braised short ribs, check out these other easy dinners:
Mushroom Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
- 5.5 lbs short ribs
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 package onion gravy mix
- 3 – 4.5 oz jar whole mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Add 1 T olive oil to a dutch oven set over medium high heat. Add the short ribs and brown, working in batches if necessary. Remove the browned ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Add the stock, wine and vinegar to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits on the bottom of the wine. Bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in the two gravy packets and the mushrooms. Return the short ribs (and any accumulated juices) to the pot, nestling them in the liquid as much as possible.
- Cover the pot and place in preheated oven. Cook for 2 hours.
- Skim off as much fat as possible and serve over polenta.