Tools needed to make the best fish sandwich:
- You will need a nice, heavy [easyazon_link identifier=”B00006JSUA” locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]skillet[/easyazon_link] in order to fry the crispy onion straws.
- You will also need a grill to make the blackened fish. I really love my [easyazon_link identifier=”B07GL7PNPQ” locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]Traeger grill[/easyazon_link]!
If you liked this Blackened Fish Sandwich recipe, check out these other fish recipes;
Blackened Fish Sandwich with Crispy Onion Straws
- Creole Tartar sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 T creole mustard
- 8 dashes Tobasco
- 1 T sweet relish
- 3 T chopped chives.
- For the sandwich:
- 5 snapper filets
- 2 T Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 T butter
- For the onions:
- 1 large onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 T Old Bay
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the tartar sauce: mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat vegetable oil (depth 1") over medium-high heat to a temperature of 375F. The oil should be hot enough that a test onion should immediately begin to bubble in the oil, and brown in 2-3 minutes.
- In a large Ziploc bag, add the rice flour and Old Bay. Shake to combine. Add the sliced onions to the flour mixture, and shake to coat. Beat an egg in a shallow bowl, then add the floured onions and toss to coat. Add the onions back to the flour bag and shake to coat them again. Working in batches, add the onions to the hot oil, frying until they are a golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat a grill over medium heat. Sprinkle a piece of aluminum foil with olive oil, then add your snapper filets. Sprinkle with the Old Bay seasoning and dot with butter. Place the aluminum foil on the grill> Cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 6-7 minutes. Add split buns cut side down to the grill to toast.
- Assembly. Place the grilled fish on the toasted hoagie, top with a large handful of crispy onions and slather the top bun with 2 T creole tartar sauce. Serve immediately.