I have muffins coming out of my ears right now. I have been hard at work, coming up with a go-to, absolutely perfect blueberry lemon muffin recipe.
Just call me The Muffin Man. Or Lady I guess.
Hopefully it’s not because I have a muffin top.
Hey, how many muffin jokes do you think I can fit into the first half of this post?
Mmmm.. Probably a few more.
I can’t believe I didn’t make these jokes with my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. What a wasted opportunity. I clearly was more uptight and prim-and-proper back then.
Anyway, so… like all baking experiments, it took several attempts to get things the way that I wanted them. You know how they say that life isn’t about the destination, it’s about the journey? That’s not true in baking. Its all about the destination.
These muffins are light and buttery on the inside, prevalently studded with blueberries and flavored with lemon for a little brightness. They bake up big and tall, with a crispy outer crust.
They are perfect. You need them immediately.
Couple of notes:
1. I only have one jumbo muffin pan. On my last batch, I used these liners because I was tired of washing my pans repeatedly. They are very formed cups, so I was able to use them in a regular muffin pan, but still make jumbo sized muffins. I spaced them out across the pan to get them to fit. Just FYI.
2. I call for tossing the blueberries with flour. This is because if you do this, it keeps the blueberries 1. suspended in the batter, so they don’t sink to the bottom as much. and two, helps to keep them just from bursting. I eliminated it in my second back and then did it again in my final trial batch. Don’t skip it, it takes 4 seconds and really does make a difference. Don’t say I never taught you anything.
Bakery Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 4 T butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries tossed with 1 T flour
- Raw sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two jumbo muffin pans with nonstick spray (or line with liners), 12 total.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add in the zest, juice, eggs, vanilla and milk and whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and baking powder over, stir in. Add in the flour and stir until combined, but do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cups and sprinkle with raw sugar (if desired). Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the tops have turned a light golden color. Cool on wire racks.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
mila furman says
They DO look perfect! Those blueberries look like little gem stones inside. Just lovely.
Sam @ SugarSpunRun says
Haha, love the gifs! These muffins look incredible, I’m impressed by your dedication to making them so perfect!!
Can I sub almond milk my husband only drinks almond milk since Reg stuff upsets his stomach and I never have regular nik in the house.
Hi there, I’m honestly not sure. I’ve never used almond milk before. If you try it, let me know!
Just made these and they came out quite bland. Did you happen to add salt and not include it in the recipe? Or maybe you used salted butter?
I’m sorry that they didn’t turn out well. I did use salted butter, because i try and write most recipes based on what I think most people keep stocked in their houses – I never seem to have unsalted butter in the house when I need it. Most of my recipes are for regular salted butter unless specified otherwise. You could make a lemon glaze with powdered sugar and a little lemon juice/zest to pour over top and liven them up. 🙂