This Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Chile Recipe has the perfect flavor combination of spicy and sweet, with chile garlic paste brushed all over the outside and brown sugar in the middle!
Acorn squash is a tenuous subject in our house.
I never grew up eating it, which likely means that one of my parents doesn’t like it. But a friend introduced me to it about 5 years ago, and I was hoooked. I mean I don’t know why I wouldn’t- the squash is basically a half step away from being pumpkin, and brown sugar and butter has never made anything worse in the history of the world.
Here’s the problem- my husband has a “thing” with sweet side dishes. Corn pudding? No. Escalloped apples. Nope. So while I adore acorn squash, I never seem to get to make it because I know 50% of this household won’t eat it.
But Dave is always a sucker for something spicy- so I thought, what if I brushed it with some sambal olek? I figured it was worth a shot, as he seemed kind of excited about it. It turned out actually really well- the sambal olek gave it some definite heat, probably a little too much for my non-spicy palette. But you know what, it doesn’t even matter- now I can make half spicy- sweet for Dave and one to my liking.
I love flexible dishes that work for everyone. Dinnertime crisis averted.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Baking sheet- This [easyazon_link identifier=”B00FGVPAL2″ locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]3-Piece Baking Pan Set[/easyazon_link] is great for any kind of baking. You’ll get some great use out of them!
- Foil- Always use some [easyazon_link identifier=”B00UNT0Y2M” locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]Aluminum Foil [/easyazon_link] for easier clean up with your baking sheets!
- Basting brush- Grab this [easyazon_link identifier=”B015COKN5A” locale=”US” tag=”gogogogo03-20″]Set of 2 Silicone Basting Brushes[/easyazon_link] to use for spreading your garlic chile paste all over the acorn squash!
If you enjoyed this Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Chile Recipe, be sure to check out these:
- Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Stuffed Patty-Pan Squash
- The Lime Squash
- Broiled Romano Summer Squash with Grilled Wings
Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Chile
- 1 acorn squash halved lengthwise and seeds scooped out
- 2 T sambal olek chili garlic paste
- 2 T butter
- 2 T packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup). Place acorn squash on sheet, cut side up.
- Use a basting brush to brush the chile garlic paste over the flesh surface of the squash. Add brown sugar and butter to the well.
- Place in preheated oven for 1 hour. Half way through baking, brush with additional chile garlic paste, then with the butter/brown sugar mixture from the well.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Scoop out and mash to blend evenly. Serve warm.