What is Christmas time without some Eggnog?! This Eggnog recipe has the perfect Friday at five twist to better enjoy the holidays!
This Creamy & Delicious Homemade Eggnog is the best complement to go with all your Christmas activities that you have planned!
I have always been fairly sure that I didn’t like eggnog. I don’t think I had ever even tried it before Dave and I got together. I picked up some for him at the store once, and he insisted that I try a little bit.
Definitely didn’t see what all the fuss was about. Also, it was almost disgustingly sweet.
This year, I decided to try again. Dave asked me to pick some up for him at the store, but I told him that I was going to make it from scratch and see what we thought. He always complains that the kind from the store is too sweet as well, so he has a glass and then it sits in the back of our fridge until I find it on January 15 and throw it away.
I found this recipe from Food Network and Alton Brown. I was looking at this one vs. one from Paula Deen. Unsurprisingly, hers had more than double the sugar, so I elected to skip it since that wasn’t quite what we were going for.
Not sure what I was expecting when it came to making eggnog. I wasn’t even sure what was in it, other than eggs (obviously). Truly, it didn’t have much in it at all, AND I even had every ingredient in my fridge/pantry already. SCORE!
The result: a creamy, rich, but not-too-sweet eggnog that was great mixed with a splash of bourbon. It was the perfect accompaniment to a night of cookie baking.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Mixing bowl – These bowls are perfect for mixing up any recipe and even come in three different sizes. Get your 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set here.
- Hand mixer – Having a hand mixer really comes in handy for making your recipes. Be sure to grab this KitchenAid Hand Mixer to get your recipes made right!
- Glasses – These Highball Drinking Glasses are perfect for serving and enjoying your eggnog in!
If you loved this Eggnog Recipe, be sure to check out these:
- Classic Cocktails: Champagne Cocktails
- Classic Cocktails: The Manhattan
- Friday at Five: The GTO Cocktail
Friday at Five (Holiday Edition): Eggnog
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon or leave out and add your own amount
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until pale yellow. Slowly add ⅓ cup sugar and beat until fully dissolved. Stir in the milk, cream, (bourbon if adding now) and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1 T of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Chill.
- Pour desired amount of bourbon into a glass, then add in the eggnog. Serve topped with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Serve, sip, sit back, deep breath, relax, enjoy.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
There seams to be a step missing. I’m surprised that there’s no cookin involved.