With only 5 ingredients, you are well on your way to making this delicious Bourbon Bacon Brown Sugar Butternut Squash! Not only is it great for Thanksgiving, but it’s the perfect side for any day of the year!
If you’re looking for easy butternut squash recipes, look no further than this Bourbon Bacon Brown Sugar Butternut Squash recipe!
Bourbon Bacon Brown Sugar Butternut Squash. I know it’s a mouthful, but there has never been a tastier mouthful that this! I mean, could you ask for anything more in a Thanksgiving side dish? The bacon adds just enough salt and crunch, the brown sugar provides the sweet, and the bourbon adds a nice “kick” and flavor.
Butternut squash is definitely my favorite winter squash. I love acorn squash and spaghetti squash, but I just love all of the variations of butternut. You can make butternut squash soup, simple and easy roast butternut squash, the options are endless!
We serve it often at our house, but this particular recipe is always a hit around the holidays. It’s full of warm, sweet flavors that are totally nostalgic and delicious. Plus, it’s adds something a little different to the table instead of the same old Thanksgiving sides year after year.
To make this recipe, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, you need to prepare the squash. Peel the squash until all of the skin is removed. Then you will want to cut the butternut squash into one inch cubes. After you’ve cut the squash, set it aside.
Next, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the bacon to the saucepan and sauté it until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside in a small bowl, you will be using it later.
Then add in 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and all of the bourbon. Stir this mixture until the sugar has dissolved and a syrup has formed. Next add the butternut squash to a baking dish and drizzle the bourbon syrup over top. Make sure not to use a baking sheet, because the syrup might run over the sides.
Finally, sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the squash and butternut squash mixture, and bake for one hour, or until the squash is tender. After you remove from the oven, stir the bacon back in and bake for 10 minutes more.
You can top this squash with salt and pepper if desired, but I like it just as is. Make sure to serve hot, and you’re all set! The perfect Thanksgiving side with only a handful of ingredients!
If you liked this recipe for cooking butternut squash, check out these other great Thanksgiving sides:
Tools needed to make this Brown Sugar Butternut Squash:
This recipe is super easy with little prep, so you only need a few things:
- A vegetable peeler will make peeling your butternut squash much easier.
- It’s always nice to have a good set of knives and a cutting board. They will come in handy with so many recipes.
- To make the bourbon bacon syrup, you will need a heavy bottom saucepan.
- And last but not least, a baking dish. If you’re serving this for Thanksgiving, it doesn’t hurt to have a decorative one to really send your dinner over the top!
Bourbon Bacon Brown Sugar Butternut Squash
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar divided
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the bacon to the pot and sauté until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside.
- 3. Add in 1/2 cup of the sugar and bourbon and stir until the sugar has dissolved and a syrup has formed. Add the butternut squash to a baking dish and drizzle the bourbon syrup over top. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over.
- 4. Bake for one hour, until the squash is tender. Stir the bacon back in and bake for 10 minutes more.
Join my mailing list to receive my latest recipes to your inbox!
Leave a Reply