Fall desserts don’t get any better than this simple Apple Dump Cake recipe! With only a handful of ingredients, you are going to fall in love with this easy dump cake!
If you’ve ever wondered how to make apple dump cake, this easy Apple Dump Cake with cake mix is the answer! Full of fall flavor and super easy to make!
Are you on team apple or team pumpkin? If I’m being honest, I’m on both. When it comes to fall flavors, I love them ALL!
But it seems like apple gets overshadowed a little bit by pumpkin. As soon as the fall recipes start surfacing, I feel like I see apple for about 2 weeks. And then it’s “pumpkin this” and “pumpkin that” until Christmas.
So here I am, bringing you a recipe that glorifies the fall fruit the way that it deserves to be! And the best part about it? It’s as easy as pie…or dump cake, I guess!
Dump cakes have been really popular lately, and I decided to jump on the band wagon. As much as I love from-scratch desserts, sometimes it’s nice to have a dump-and-go recipe that only requires a few ingredients.
We usually go apple picking every year. I love having a bushel of fresh apples on hand for fall baking, plus it’s fun for the boys. Who am I kidding? Dave and I love it too! If you’ve never gone, I highly suggest it.
The only downfall to baking with fresh apples is that it’s a lot of work. You have to peel, core and slice them, and that can take quite a bit of time. Nothing quick can be made with fresh apples, that’s for sure.
Since I’ve had baby boy number 3, I have been all about easy meals, and that includes desserts! I especially love this apple dump cake because it uses apple pie filling. That means no peeling, cutting and slicing apples! I love homemade stuff for sure, but you just can’t beat a dessert that 1. kids can easily help you with, 2. doesn’t dirty up your kitchen to make and 3. is ready to go in the oven in under 5 minutes.
It also uses a boxed cake mix. That means no measuring flour, sugar, etc. Can it really get any easier than that? I don’t think so! Dump cakes are a dime a dozen on the internet, usually using boxed yellow cake mix. I wanted to mix this up a little bit, so I used a cinnamon crumb coffee cake mix with a cinnamon brown sugar topping for this. It was AMAZING. I used the Krusteaz’s branded mix- it should be readily available at any grocery store.
There aren’t many things that I make that my family doesn’t like, but this one was particularly loved by all of them. I made this apple dump cake on a Friday night, and it was completely devoured by the end of the weekend! I’d call that a win.
We like to serve ours with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, but it would be great with whipped cream, or even on it’s own.
- As stated above, I used the Krusteaz’s Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake mix. It is VERY similar looking to my Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe. It was deliciously sweet with the topping, but if you wanted to tone it down a little, you could easily only use half the topping provided in the box.
- I used a Comstock filling that was “more fruit, more like homemade.” I used two cans of it for this recipe, but I’m also really curious to know how it would work to slice up 2-3 fresh apples, then top with one can of filling and proceed on? I’m definitely all about the fruit filling when it comes to desserts like crisps, crumbles, cobblers and pies, so I think this could be a great way to beef up the apple layer of the dessert without overloading it with sugar. Just a thought.
Tools needed to make this simple Apple Dump Cake recipe:
- Dump cakes have been so popular lately, and to make any dump cake you will need a nice casserole dish. I like this set because it comes with multiple sizes, and the color is so pretty!
- It might also be nice to have a pretty set of bowls to serve it in.
- If you’d like to top your with ice cream like I did, you will need an ice cream scoop, too.
If you liked this apple cake, check out these other delicious apple recipes:
Easy Apple Dump Cake
Fall desserts don't get any better than this simple Apple Dump Cake recipe! With only a handful of ingredients, you are going to fall in love with this easy dump cake!
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 1 box crumb cake mix (with brown sugar cinnamon topping)
- 1 stick melted butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cubed)
- Pour two cans of apple pie filling into a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour one box of crumb cake mix on top of the apple filling.
- Drizzle one stick of melted butter on top of the cake mix.
- Next, sprinkle the package of brown sugar cinnamon topping on top.
- Top with four tablespoons of cubed butter, spaced evenly.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.