This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayTreatMaking #CollectiveBias
I had the idea for these Hot Chocolate Rice Krispies® Treats months ago. Literally, months ago. Like, July.
Clearly, July in Florida is a less than optimal time to make anything that involves hot chocolate. Or the holidays. Or really, just anything hot.
I have always loved Rice Krispies® Treats, although I honestly had never made them until a couple of years ago when I made my Samoa Rice Krispies® Treats. Whenever I had them, they were always the prepackaged kind, usually bought at school.
However, once I found out how freaking easy they are to make, I felt like a fool for not making them sooner. When it comes to satisfying a need for a sweet treat, you just can’t beat these- so quick and easy, with only 3 ingredients. Not only that, but they are a blank canvas for innumerable twists to turn them into something new- like my Puppy Chow Rice Krispies® Treats and these Hot Chocolate Rice Krispies® Treats.
Like I said, I had the idea for these months ago when shopping in Walmart. I happened upon a product I’d never seen before- a container of those little dried marshmallows that they have in the packets of hot cocoa mix. I instantly thought of these- hot chocolate meeting Rice Krispie Treats for the ultimate winter holiday treat! These have a lovely taste of hot chocolate to them, thanks to the addition of hot cocoa mix into the melted marshmallows and a blend of Kellogg’s® Rice and Cocoa Krispies®. Drizzled with a chocolate glaze, then they are showered with mini marshmallows, reminiscent of a big steaming mug of rich hot chocolate piled high with marshmallows.
They are incredible. I gave half of them to my sweet-loving friend, her two sweet-loving daughters and her mega-sweet-loving husband. I got a text later- “These are the best I have ever had!” Pretty much the ultimate gift to me!
These are so wonderful for all the treat-making-occaisions this time of year. They have a super-short ingredient list and take no time at all to put together, plus you don’t have to use your oven (which means that you can make a few batches of cookies at the same time! The process is simple- even Jonathan helped.
Get more information here- and tell me, what’s YOUR favorite twist on a Rice Krispies® Treat??
- 3 cups Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
- 3 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1 10-ox bag mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ tablespoons cream
- ¾ cup mini marshmallow bits
- In a large bowl, combine the Cocoa Krispies® and Rice Krispies®.
- In a separate bowl, add the marshmallows and butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until fully melted. Stir or whisk in the cocoa mix. Microwave for a final 30 seconds.
- Immediately pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and gently mix until evenly coated.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper and press the cereal mixture into the pan. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the bars are cooling, add the chocolate chips and cream to a microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Lift the bars out of the baking dish and cut into 16 squares. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons melted chocolate over the bars and spread to the edges. Immediately sprinkle with marshmallow bits. Repeat with remaining bars.