So, I’ve got all this jam now, you see? And don’t get me wrong, slathering it on a PB& J and topping one of my fluffy biscuits with it is all well and find and good…. but what ELSE can I do with it?
For whatever reason, as I stood in my kitchen and pondered this very question, I thought of Pepperidge Farm Linzer Cookies. My mom and I ate these when I was young, and I thought they were delicious (if not too light in the filling department!) I have long since thought that the filling always makes a stuffed cookie- think about it. Oreos, vanilla cremes, etc- can you truthfully tell me that the filling is not the best part??
Since linzer cookies are two cookies sandwiched together with jam, I thought it the perfect opportunity to use some of my jam. My first batch was a little on the thick side, so I thought it would be perfect to use in these cookies.
I added a couple tablespoons of citrus zest into the cookie dough, just to brighten up the flavor a little bit more. You could use either kind of jam that I made, or use a store-ready strawberry or raspberry jam. If you can locate a set of big and small heart-shaped cookie cutters, how cute would these be for Valentine’s Day?!
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 T orange zest
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixture. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix in thoroughly, followed by the citrus zest.
- Stir in the salt and baking powder. Add in the flour, and run the mixer until the dough just comes together.
- Gather the dough and shake it into a flattened disk. Wrap in saran wrap and chill dough for 2 hours.
- Flour a work surface and roll dough out to 1/8" thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut dough into circles. Cut a smaller circle out of half of the cutouts. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray, and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place chilled cookie sheets in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies have started to turn golden. Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a cooling rack using a small spatula. Cool completely
- Spread each "solid" cutout with jam, then top with a "hollow" cut out. Dust with powdered sugar.