These Iced Pumpkin Cookies are the perfect way to celebrate fall. They are the most moist pumpkin cookies ever, and you won’t believe how easy they are to make!
I LOVE these soft Iced Pumpkin Spice Cookies. I’ve been making them for years; they are a fall staple in our house. I had a hard time making them this year though- I don’t know if you saw on Instagram, but I had some difficulties finding the star-ingredient in this recipe.
Crystallized ginger was a pretty mainstream ingredient in the grocery stores around me, but I wasn’t able to find it here. In fact, anytime that I asked someone in the store about it, they’d direct me to ginger root.
NO, sir, that is NOT what I’m looking for.
When all else fails, turn to Amazon. I couldn’t think of the quantity of ginger I bought in the store, but there was a 2 lb bag. I am generally horrible at weight estimation, but 2 pounds didn’t sound like a lot. Needless to say, I placed the order.
Hey, guess what. Two pounds of crystallized ginger is a lot.
Like, a lot. I won’t have to buy it for a couple years!
These cookies, adapted from a Pillsbury recipe, pop up everywhere this time of year. They are soft, cake-like cookies, with flecks of spicy crystallized ginger throughout. The frosting sets up so the cookies can be stacked. They are beloved by all, and I know you’ll love them too!
Update, 8-21-17- You may note in the video for these soft pumpkin cookies that I do NOT add crystallized ginger. That is due to the fact that when I went to search my pantry post- move to get my ridiculously large bag of crystallized ginger (because yes, there was still some left), it had mysteriously grown legs and walked away. Either that or I threw the bag away instead of packing it. One of those two though.
Either way, they were still super great without the ginger. If you wanted to make them sans ginger, you could definitely add some other fall spices- maybe a teaspoon of nutmeg and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon? I think that would be just delightful.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Baking sheet- This Baking Sheet Set is great for any kind of baking. You’ll get some great use out of them!
- Hand mixer- Having a hand mixer really comes in handy for making your recipes. Be sure to grab this Hand Mixer to get your recipes made right!
- Baking mat- I recommend using a Silicone Baking Mat for nonstick baking and easy clean up!
If you loved these Iced Pumpkin Cookies, make sure you check out these other great options:
- Apple Cider Pumpkin Bread
- Marshmallow Meringue Topped Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Ginger-Studded Pumpkin Cookies
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 T butter melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, crystallized ginger, softened butter, the pumpkin and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining cookie ingredients to form soft dough.
- Using a large cookie scoop, place 1½” scoops of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix powdered sugar into melted better. Add in vanilla and milk and stir vigorously until smooth. Frost cookies and serve.