This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, MARS Incorporated. All opinions are mine alone. #SweeterEaster #CollectiveBias
These Easter Bird’s Nest Cupcakes are an adorable and easy dessert to make for your Easter egg hunts! Two quick decorating maneuvers and some Easter candy are all that it takes!
I am having a new love affair with easy cake decorating ideas. I love coming up with ideas that fit in with the whole message of this site- that beautiful, delicious food doesn’t have to take a ton of time. Just take a look at these- just a simple grass frosting tip and a star tip are the only pieces of “special” equipment needed to make these adorable cupcakes. You can use any cake recipe that you like here- per normal, I “cheated” and used a boxed cake mix.
Look, I may be a food writer here, but I work smarter, not harder. There’s enough going on around here lately. Michael is working so hard on walking, but is at that stage where he probably could do it, but refuses to let go of anything. Usually its something incredibly inconvenient, like the refrigerator drawer. Or my leg. Both boys have colds that have lasted approximately the last 50 weeks, a
As you can see from the video above, the concept behind these treats is quite simple- create the “grass” on top of the cupcake, with short squeezes of the piping bag, then create a “nest” with your open star tip. Draw and fill in a circle, then do one or two more circles around the outside to build up the outside of the nest. I used this buttercream frosting, tinted green and dark brown, but you could also use my amazing fudge frosting for the nests.
I used a bunch of different candy to fill my nests- regular Easter colored M&M’S® Milk Chocolate, their new speckled Egg M&M’S® Milk Chocolate and Starburst® Jelly Beans, all purchased at Walmart, your Easter must-go destination (you can find the adorable egg wreath there too!). For a limited time, you can buy tons of variety of MARS Candy and even save up to $3.00 with your purchase.
Make sure to check out more fun ideas at My Confection Corner!
If you like these Bird’s Nest Cupcakes, check these out:
Bird's Nest Cupcakes
- 1 batch of Buttercream frosting recipe above
- 1 cup M&Ms® chocolate candies and/or Starburst® Jelly Beans
- Green Food Coloring
- Brown food coloring
- 24 cupcakes
- Prepare buttercream as described above. Split into two equal portions and dye one half green and the other dark brown.
- Fit two piping bags with frosting tips- one a grass tip and the other an open star. Spoon the green frosting into the bag with the grass tip, and the dark brown into the bag with the star.
- Pipe on the design using the technique in the video above- short squeezes of the icing bag to create the grass on top of the cupcakes, then pipe on the next. Fill with 2-3 pieces of candy per cupcake.