If you haven’t jumped on the “dump cake train” yet, this super easy Apple Pumpkin Dump Cake is a great recipe to try out! It makes a delicious fall dessert and only requires a handful of ingredients!
Take your regular pumpkin dump cake up a notch by adding apple! This Apple Pumpkin Dump cake is the best mash up of your favorite fall flavors!
I’ve never made a dump cake before this year, and now I’ve made two in two weeks. I feel like I’ve really been missing out!
When I was telling Dave about this idea and told him I was thinking about calling it a “pumple” dump cake. He had no idea what I was talking about.
“Pumple. You know, like the Cherpumple dessert? Cherry, pumpkin and apple pies baked inside of cakes?”
So if you’re not aware, that’s a thing. Ultimately I decided that “pumple” by itself sounded too much like “pimple” (ew), so I opted for the boring-but-straightforward title of “apple pumpkin dump cake.”
I loved the apple dump cake that I made a couple weeks ago, and had seen a similarly styled Pumpkin Crunch Cake all over Facebook and Pinterest for the last month. I thought it would be nice to combine the two best fall flavors into one, and it was truly everything that I had hoped for.
Most dump cake recipes that I have seen call for boxed yellow cake mix for the topping. Since we’re all about the warm, spicy fall flavors for this cake, I thought I would amplify that by using a spice cake mix instead. If you wanted, you could also use the Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake mix that I used in the Apple Dump Cake.
To start making this Apple Pumpkin Dump cake, preheat your oven to 350 F. While the oven is preheating, mix together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and spices in a large bowl until completely smooth.
Once everything is combined, pour the pumpkin mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish. This forms your pumpkin layer (the texture is actually very similar to pumpkin pie, yum!) Then on to the apple layer. Drop heaping spoonfuls of apple pie filling evenly over top of the pumpkin. Next, sprinkle the dry cake mix over top of the pumpkin and apple mixture.
The last step is to pour the melted butter evenly over the cake mix, and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Once it cools slightly and you are ready to serve it, you can top this cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream like I did. A dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice would taste great, too!
Make sure you are using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. I opted to use the puree for this recipe because I wanted to control the amount of sugar that went into the cake. If you used pumpkin pie filling instead, you cake will be extremely sweet.
Equipment needed to make this Pumpkin Apple Dump Cake recipe:
- When making a dump cake, I like to use a 13 x 9 baking dish. You more than likely already have one on hand, as they are generally what you would use to make a casserole.
- To mix the pumpkin layer, you will need a hand mixer to make sure everything is combined and smooth. You can also use a stand mixer for this is you prefer.
- And last but not least, an ice cream scoop is handy if you’d like to top your slice of cake with a yummy scoop of vanilla ice cream!
If you liked this Pumpkin Apple Spice Dump Cake, check out these other great pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel and Apple Butter Filling
- Homemade Pumpkin Gelato
Apple Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 30 oz canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, spices and evaporated. milk until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into 13 x 9 baking pan. Drop spoonfuls of apple pie filling evenly over top of the pumpkin.
- Sprinkle the spice cake mix over top of the pumpkin/apple mixture. Pour butter evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.