I have been doing variations of this grilled berry croissant for a good, long time. I’m not sure where I originally saw it, but once I started, it was hard to stop.
Dessert sandwiches are a quick and easy way to satisfy a sweet tooth craving for yourself- easily done for one- but where they really excel is in a crowd setting, aka all your summer BBQ get togethers. They can be assembled ahead of time, then thrown on the grill for a few quick minutes later on. Perfect for eating while walking around your yard playing bocce ball.
The other best part of this “recipe?” It hardly even qualifies as such. Use this combination as your jumping off point, because the possibilities really are endless- think banana nutella, s’mores, mascarpone honey…. go with what you have around!
Just one word of warning here, these have a tendency to burn due to the high butter content of the croissants. Watch your heat! You can always grill longer, but you can’t undo “burned.”
I couldn’t decide which pictures I wanted to use, so I used them all. Not apologizing- they all just looked so “berry” delicious!
Okay, okay, I’m leaving, I’m leaving….
- 1 large croissant, sliced in half
- 2 T mascarpone cheese (room temperature makes for easier spreadability)
- 2 T strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- Preheat a grill on medium heat.
- Spread the mascarpone on the bottom half of the croissant. Spread the jam on the top half. Evenly space the berries over the cheese, then place the top on,
- Turn the heat to low, and place the sandwich on the grill. Grill for 2-3 minutes, checking to make sure that the bottom is not burning. Flip the sandwich and repeat for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve hot.