Seriously, how pretty is this drink???
Have to say, this drink is all sorts of new and uncharted territory for me. I saw it featured on Food & Wine a few weeks ago, and the color drew me in.
Reason #1: Campari. I’ve never had this before, although I see it on drink menus frequently. Plus, it makes drinks so pretty! Also, be aware- $30 per bottle. Just a disclaimer so you don’t go to the store to make this and then get mad about it.
Reason #2: It’s almost all booze. Not my usual style, but this is freaking delish.
Reason #3: It has an egg white in it. This is another thing that I see from time to time, and wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I made this drink two ways- with and without. Surprisingly, it had no effect on the taste, it just changed the texture, thickening it a bit. It sounds odd, but once you get over the fact that you’re, you know, drinking raw egg, it’s not a big deal.
Give it a shot. Think how badass you’ll sound when you tell people about it.
Friday at Five: Mediterranean Pink Lady
- 1 1/2 ounces gin preferably London dry
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or other triple sec
- 1/4 ounce limoncello
- 1/4 ounce Campari
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- 3 or 4 thin strips of lemon zest for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all of the ingredients except ice and the garnish and shake well. Add ice and shake again. Strain the drink into a chilled coupe and garnish with the lemon zest.