So the very same Thursday evening, our realtor went to look at four more houses. We were totally drained that night, but yet at 10:00 we were sitting down to look at videos and photos to see if any of these were good replacements. I was doing my best to keep an open mind, but I didn’t have high hopes.
They were all okay. Fine. Nothing that blew me away. Our realtor was suggesting one house in particular, as they had put in a very nice lanai and pool outside and had upgraded the heck out of the inside. My husband liked it quite a bit too, but I had reservations. It was very important to me to have some sort of a backyard for J and our dog to play in- a place to run around, have a sandbox, learn to kick a ball. My beef with pools is four-fold.
One, I don’t want to have to constantly worry about J drowning.
Two, they take up huge amounts of yard space, where lot size is already at a premium.
Three, it’s not warm enough year round to enjoy them, so for 1/4-1/3 of the year, you are just stuck with no yard and a pool you don’t even want to go into.
Four, I don’t want to deal with the maintenance (really, the least of my worries).
Our realtor understood that we had been through the ringer that day, and we needed more than just a couple of hours to talk about things late at night before making a decision. We told her that we would talk about it and let her know the next day. She urged us that if we liked the one particular home with a pool, we would likely need to move quickly, because there was another person making an offer on the property. The owners knew that we would likely be very interested, and agreed to wait until our realtor got ahold of them.
Dave and I talked about it at length the following day. I was still very hesitant, but even more than that I was just still so mopey about everything from the day before. However, Dave was enamoured with the house and I figured that I wasn’t going to fall in love with another one so fast. At this point, we were getting awfully close to the move-out date of our current home, and we just needed to find something fast.
Dave and I talked about it, and at 10:30 PM that night, we decided that we would make an offer on the home the following morning. I called our realtor to let her know.
“You’re too late. They accepted the other offer that they were considering, even though they told me that they would wait to hear what your interest level was.”
You have to be kidding. This house was only sent to us less than 24 hours ago.
“I know, I’m sorry. Evidently they were already under contract when I went there and weren’t really forthright about it.”
….. On to Part Three.