Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard
Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard is one of our family's favorite dinners! Pasta dishes with Italian sausage don't get any better than this!
- 3/4 lb. penne or medium shells
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup fat free half and half can sub for all cream if desired
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, half and half, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.