1. In a saucepan, bring the salt, sugar and 4 cups water to a boil. Stir
until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and set
aside to room temperature.
2. Double layer the oven bags. Place cleaned turkey inside the bag,
then pour in brine and 12 cups ice water. Place in cooler or
roasting pan in fridge for 18-24 hours.
3. Rinse the turkey well and dry with paper towels. Mix the butter,
garlic, herbs and salt together. Rub all over outside of turkey, then
use your hand to create a pocket between the skin and the meat.
Rub butter under skin.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Roast for about 15 minutes per pound,
or until a meat thermometer reads 165 in the breast or 180 in the
thigh. Baste every 45 minutes or so, and cover with foil if it
becomes too brown.
5. Remove from the oven and move to a carving board to rest for 15
minutes while you make gravy.
6. Pour all the drippings from the pan into a gravy separator. Pour 1
cup of turkey fat back into the roasting pan and set over medium
heat on the stove. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Slowly whisk in the turkey juices and chicken stock until no lumps
remain. Simmer until desired thickness is reached.