1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour in the vanilla and molasses and stir until combined.
2. Sprinkle the baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves over the top of the wet ingredients. Stir in.
3. Add in the flour and mix until combined.
4. Divide the dough into three portions and place each on an 18” long piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Roll the dough into logs that are approximately 1 ½” in diameter. Refrigerate until firm.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
6. Add the sugar and zest to a shallow bowl. Use your fingers to combine the two until the sugar turns orange.
7. Cut the dough into 1/4” slices. Roll each slice in the orange sugar, then place 1” apart on prepared cookie sheets.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes in center of oven. If baking multiple sheets at a time, rotate halfway through. Remove to wire rack to cool.
9. Stir together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over cookies when cool.