If you follow me on Instagram (which I’m sure you obviously do), you might have caught a little dance party between Jonathan and I a few weeks back. This is the recipe that inspired that dance-a-thon of joy. There aren’t that many times where a recipe makes me silly with happiness, but this was one of them.
These cupcakes are delicious.
I dressed up a simple lemon boxed cake mix with some lemon curd (5 minutes homemade curd can be found here) and then topped them with the most fresh-strawberry-tasting buttercream that’s ever been made.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- ⅔ cup lemon curd
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1½ T sugar
- 4 T butter, softened
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- Strawberries, for garnish
- Prepare cupcakes according to package directions. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped strawberries with the sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Poke large holes (1/2" diameter, approximately the size of your pinky) through the top of the cupcake to about halfway through. Spoon the lemon curd into a small Ziploc bag and cut the tip off.
- Put the cut off corner of the lemon curd bag into the hole you poked, and fill it. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Use a masher, blender, or immersion blender to blend the strawberries mostly smooth (no major chunks).
- In a large mixing bowl and using a mixer, blend the softened butter into the powdered sugar. Add the blended strawberries until desired consistency is reached (the whole amount, for me).
- Frost the cupcakes using either a piping bag or knife. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.
Looking for other ideas?
I made an amazing Strawberry Ice Cream last year that has a secret ingredient in it to keep it scoopable!
Feeling thirsty? The Strawberry Muddle features fresh strawberries and champagne!